It can be difficult to discern cat breeds when they are only kittens. One woman got a huge surprise when her tiny kitten turned into a gigantic cat! The kitten was actually a Main coon cat.
For those not in the know, the coon cat is known as a gentle giant among cat
breeds. It is much larger than a normal house cat but incredibly gentle nonetheless.
A lot of people own Main coon cats because of their great reputation. In case you don’t know much about coon cats, you are about to learn 12 interesting facts about them. Maybe, it will be enough to convince you to find one for your own home!
1. Coon cats are much larger than normal house cats. They can weigh up to 18 pounds!
2. Some people believe the main coon cat originated when domesticated cats bred with raccoons. Others believe they were brought to Maine during the French Revolution.
3. They have super thick coats to help them survive even the coldest winters.
4. Coon cats come in a variety of colors including brown, smoke, cameo, cream, tortoiseshell and mackerel.
5. A coon cat won first prize in America’s first juried cat exhibition at Madison Square Garden (1895).
6. People from all over the world own Maine coon cats not just residents of Maine.
7. The Maine coon cat appeared in the Harry Potter movie series.
8. An owner cloned his Maine coon cat, Little Nicky, in 2004. He was the first commercially cloned cat, and the experiment was a success.
9. The coon cat holds the Guinness World Record for the longest cat in the world.
10. The coon cat also holds the Guinness World Record for the world’s oldest cat. There is a 26-yr-old cat out there!
11. Maine coon cats enjoy the water, unlike most other cat breeds.
12. Main coon cats can have six toes (polydactyl) much like the Hemingway cat breed.
Don’t forget to share these fascinating facts with your friends on social media!